Overlooking Mount Zhimao and Zhuoshui River below.

In the 12th year of the Showa era (1937), the Zhimao police post was established. It was stationed on the right bank of Zhuoshui River (now Wuliting Plain), where Danda River and Zhuoshui River  flow together, to monitor the entry of indignous peoples into the mountain. It was to prevent those indigenes that have moved to the plain from coming back. Also, in order to clear up the mountainous area and to relocate the remaining residents, the police post was set up between the relocation place and the original residence. This helped facilitate subsequent relocation matters.

Wujie Reservoir

Wujie Reservoir is located in Renai Township, Nantou County, across from Fazhi Village and Wanfeng Village, which is about 12 kilometers northeast of Sun Moon Lake and adjacent to Wujie hamlet. It was built in the 8th year of Taisho (1919) and opened in the 9th year of the Showa era (1934). The function of Wujie dam is to intercept the stream of the Zhuoshui River and its tributary Wanda River, send water to Sun Moon Lake through a diversion tunnel, then import it into power plants to generate electricity. Due to the large amount of sediment transported by the Zhuoshui River, the Wujie Dam blocks a lot of sand and stones in the upper reaches of the Zhuoshui River in the riverbed above the Wujie Dam, so the Wujie Dam is seriously silted up.

奇諾斯社: 照片中草本植物區,面積約 1 個田徑場。

The migration process of the Chinuosi-she that got passed down orally is almost identical to that of the Gogotsu-she, and the relationship between the two communities is very close. Chinuosi-she was established during the time of the chief Meraaran. At that time, they were living with Gogotsu-she on the Tbunan platform on the right bank of the Bouxiao Wanxi estuary.  After a while, Meraaran found that the Chinuosi-she was suitable for settlement and moved here. However, the tribe has difficulty in obtaining water because Chinuosi situated in the middle of the mountain, facing the north Heping River with a steep cliff in the southwest. Therefore, they began migrating to the south Nan’ao River, around 4 kilometers east of sendan police post  in 1915.  In 1920, many people died due to influenza and malaria and in 1923, Chinuosi-she relocated to the right bank of south Nan’ao River, around 1.3 kilometers south of sendan police post, and renamed Xuantanshe, with a total of 52 people of 16.  households.  As the land was too sloping and difficult to cultivate, the cmmunity relocated again to a platform 1 km northeast of the sendan police post in 1931, and finally moved to the current Jinyang Village.

哥各滋社: 照片中下方蕨類植物區,面積約 2 個田徑場

The ancestors of the Gogotsu-she came from the upper reaches of Dajia River. They passed through habun sublus and Nanhu Mountain, and finally settled in a place called bbu (meaning flat top) in the upper reaches of north Heping River. They have also lived in Piahaushe and after that, went down along the north Heping River and lived on the Tbunan platform on the right bank of the Boxiaowan River estuary. Due to the increasing population and lack of arable land, the people later migrated to Gogotsu-she. Since 1913, members of the Gogotsu-she have successively moved to Sifanglin and upper Dong’aoshe in Hanxi Village (north of Dong’ao Police Station). Originally it was called lower Gogotsu-she, with a total of 59 people of 11 households. In 1922, it was renamed the Upper Dong’aoshe.

Kubabo (K’babaw)

"Bbu" means "a place with a good view from the platform on the mountain" in the Atayal language. From the name, it is clear how the terrain of this hamlet is like. The hamlet is located at the intersection of the left bank of the north Heping River and the Mohen River, at an altitude of about 1,200 meters. The Japanese Occupation Security Road passes below the hamlet, leading to Liuxingshe in the east and Jinyangshe in the west. There is an Education Center for indigenous children and a fort in Kubaboshe. At present, the school playground, the command platform, and the drainage ditch can still be seen in the hamlet. 
In the early days, traditional Atayla house was used as the official’s office. Later in the first year of the Showa era (1926), the Japanese built the Kubabo police post  using cypress wood. However, there are no traces of the wooden structure of the building any more, only huge  stacked stone foundations remain.

Tianlun Baileng Suspension Bridge

This suspension bridge that leads to the Baileng Police Post can be seen from the 1/50,000th topographic map of the  Japanese rule during the Showa period. The bridge was the predecessor of the monitoring route of Baileng Aiyong Border, which was excavated on February 23, Meiji 44 (1911). The route began from the Beileng Supervision Office, going up the Dajia River and arriving at the シウワンタイム, with a total length of about 4 miles (about 16 kilometers). In the 3rd year of Taisho (1914), because the original old defile was very narrow, Taichung Office planned to widen the road from Dongshijiao to Baxianshan to facilitate the logging business. It was finally excavated by the Forestry Bureau of the Governor's Office of Taiwan, but the road still ended in Jiurai (now Songhe, Heping District, Taichung City).

Luming Bridge

The Luming Bridge is located on the old Provincial Highway 9. It crosses Luye Creek, which flows from Taoyuan Village to Xiazhongli. 

The bridge was designed by a Japanese architect in 1960 and is a steel cable suspension bridge constructed of steel cables and frames. The bridge deck is an asphalt road wide enough only for small vehicles to pass. Located on the right bank of the Luye River is Xiazhongli, which is called tashipalu in the Bunun language and means "the other side". During the Japanese occupation period, it was called Xiazhongli, which referred to the southeast of the current tribe. Compared with Shangzhongli in the upper reaches, it has been under the same jurisdiction as Wakagan (old Hongye) since the 14th year of Taisho (1925).

In addition to those who originally lived in the area, the Japanesecollectively migrated to Pasnanavan since Showa 6 (1931), and this place has also become one of the places to live. After the war, it was called Xiali for short.


Tianlong Trail

The Tianlong Trail starts at Tianlong Suspension Bridge at 186K of the Southern Cross-island Highway and ends at 197.2K of the same Highway, with a total length of 1.089 kilometers. It is a shortcut between Lidao and Wulu. In the 4th year of Showa (1929), the Japanese built the section of the Guanshan Historic Trail from Wulu through Lidao to Halibsong, and erected a suspension bridge in the valley between Lidao and Wulu, named "Tianlong Bridge". After crossing the bridge on the Guanshan Historic Trail, it goes up steeply directly to Lidao, which is different from the current route of the Southern Corss-island Highway. After the war, the Tianlong Bridge was in disrepair and impassable. When the Southern Cross-island Highway was being built, it was refurbished in order to transport construction personnel and materials. By 1993, the Tianlong Bridge had become a dangerous bridge, and the historic trail on the other side of the bridge was also abandoned. The Haiduan Township Office then restored the suspension bridge and dug a stone-step trail on the mountain wall on the north side of the suspension bridge. This section of the trail is the Tianlong Trail.

Lidao Hamlet

Lidao Hamlet is located in Lidao Village, Haiduan Township, Taitung County, on a flat plateau at the intersection of Lidao River and Xinwulu River. The name of the hamlet comes from the Bunun word "Lito", which refers to the many wild loquats here. During the Republic of China, it was renamed Lidao. In Showa 5 (1930), there were 24 households in Lidao, which were scattered in 10 settlements at that time. From March to August in Showa 8 (1933), due to the impact of the Daguanshan Incident, 16 households with 150 people were moved to the current Lidao area for easy management, forming a collective village. In Showa 15 (1940), for the purpose of promoting rice planting, the Japanese government moved 127 people from 14 households to the current Lidao area, and the scale of today’s Lidao settlement has taken shape.

Old Xiama Police Station

The Xiama Hamlet is located in Wulu Village, Haiduan Township, Taitung County, close to the top of the Southern Cross-island Highway, on a slope about 700 meters above sea level. The hamlet was originally located on a hillside about 1 km southeast of the present site and was formed under the Japanese government's forced relocation after the middle of the Japanese occupation. In the Bunun language, this place is called Vauvu, which means spine. It got its name because the mountain looks like a spine from a distance. There are only four Bunun families who originally lived near Vauvu. The Japanese named the place Ivaqo, set up a police post in the area to rule, and began to ask the Bunun people that were living scattered in the adjacent mountainous area to migrate to Ivaqo. In the late Japanese occupation period, Xian became a small settlement of about 10 households. In 1975, due to the collapse of the foundation caused by the typhoon, the government moved the residents from the old hamlet to the present location.