Fushan Village is located in Wulai District, New Taipei City. It is the most inland village in Wulai District, and it is also the starting point of the northern end of the Fuba Cross-ridge Historic Trail. The historic trail is a popular route in the mountaineering world. From Wulai Fushan to Balinglala Mountain, the length of the trail is about 17 kilometers, and can be completed in about a day. The protected area is rich in ecological resources. The trailhead is located opposite the residential house on No. 2 Daluolan. The entrance is marked with "Fuba Cross-ridge National Trail". Go down the stairs, pass the Fushan Suspension Bridge, and you are on the historic trail.
Hapan Historic Trail starts from Fushanli, Wulai District, New Taipei City in the west, and ends in Lunpi Village, Datong Township, Yilan County in the east. The original starting point was near Xinxian Village, Wulai District, along the right bank of Nanshi River to Fushan Village, and then turned to Hapen direction. Later, due to the excavation of modern roads, the trailhead was also moved to the Karamoji Industrial Road on the opposite bank of Fushan Village.
It was formerly known as the "Shenkeng to Yilan Crossing Aiyong Boarder", built in built in Meiji 38 (1905). In Showa 6 (1931), the Police Department of the Taiwan Governor's Office rebuilt the road to relocate the indigenous people of the Ka’aowan group from Takasan and Gaoyilan communities. The road continued to be used after the war until now.
The migration process of the Chinuosi-she that got passed down orally is almost identical to that of the Gogotsu-she, and the relationship between the two communities is very close. Chinuosi-she was established during the time of the chief Meraaran. At that time, they were living with Gogotsu-she on the Tbunan platform on the right bank of the Bouxiao Wanxi estuary. After a while, Meraaran found that the Chinuosi-she was suitable for settlement and moved here. However, the tribe has difficulty in obtaining water because Chinuosi situated in the middle of the mountain, facing the north Heping River with a steep cliff in the southwest. Therefore, they began migrating to the south Nan’ao River, around 4 kilometers east of sendan police post in 1915. In 1920, many people died due to influenza and malaria and in 1923, Chinuosi-she relocated to the right bank of south Nan’ao River, around 1.3 kilometers south of sendan police post, and renamed Xuantanshe, with a total of 52 people of 16. households. As the land was too sloping and difficult to cultivate, the cmmunity relocated again to a platform 1 km northeast of the sendan police post in 1931, and finally moved to the current Jinyang Village.
The ancestors of the Gogotsu-she came from the upper reaches of Dajia River. They passed through habun sublus and Nanhu Mountain, and finally settled in a place called bbu (meaning flat top) in the upper reaches of north Heping River. They have also lived in Piahaushe and after that, went down along the north Heping River and lived on the Tbunan platform on the right bank of the Boxiaowan River estuary. Due to the increasing population and lack of arable land, the people later migrated to Gogotsu-she. Since 1913, members of the Gogotsu-she have successively moved to Sifanglin and upper Dong’aoshe in Hanxi Village (north of Dong’ao Police Station). Originally it was called lower Gogotsu-she, with a total of 59 people of 11 households. In 1922, it was renamed the Upper Dong’aoshe.
"Bbu" means "a place with a good view from the platform on the mountain" in the Atayal language. From the name, it is clear how the terrain of this hamlet is like. The hamlet is located at the intersection of the left bank of the north Heping River and the Mohen River, at an altitude of about 1,200 meters. The Japanese Occupation Security Road passes below the hamlet, leading to Liuxingshe in the east and Jinyangshe in the west. There is an Education Center for indigenous children and a fort in Kubaboshe. At present, the school playground, the command platform, and the drainage ditch can still be seen in the hamlet.
In the early days, traditional Atayla house was used as the official’s office. Later in the first year of the Showa era (1926), the Japanese built the Kubabo police post using cypress wood. However, there are no traces of the wooden structure of the building any more, only huge stacked stone foundations remain.
In the Baling No. 2 tunnel at the southern end of the Baling Bridge, there is a section of the Balong Tunnel left from the Japanese occupation period, which leads to the remains of the Balong Suspension Bridge. The Balong Tunnel is about 3 meters high, 2 meters wide, and 30 meters long. Here is a view of the interior of the Balong Tunnel from the Baling No. 2 Tunnel. The light in the tunnel is dim, but the chisel marks can still be seen, and the ground is full of gravel. The railing in the distance is the tunnel exit, which is connected to the Balong Suspension Bridge from the Japanese occupation period. The Taoyuan City Government re-engraved a small section of the suspension bridge at the southern end of the Balong Suspension Bridge, allowing tourists to see how the bridge used to look like at the time. Due to the lack of light in the old tunnel and the danger of falling rocks, for safety reasons, both ends are surrounded by railings, and tourists can only peep inside the tunnel from both ends.
The Balong Suspension Bridge on the Jiaobanshan Sanxing Historic Trail from the Japanese occupation period is located 47 kilometer away from today's Northern Cross-island Highway, next to the Baling Scenic Bridge. The predecessor of the Northern Cross-island Highway was the Jiaobanshan Sanxing Historic Trail during the Japanese occupation. In October of Taisho 3rd year (1914) the Japanese built the Balong Suspension Bridge. When the Northern Cross-island Highway was built in the 1960s, the Bridge was demolished and rebuilt into the Baling Bridge. Although the suspension bridge no longer exists, the Taoyuan City Government has reproduced a small section of the suspension bridge at the southern end of the bridge, allowing tourists to see the full image of the bridge at that time.
Baling Bridge is located 47 kilometers away from the Northern Corss-island Highway. The predecessor of the highway was Jiaobanshan Sanxing Historic Trail during the Japanese occupation, and in October of Taisho 3rd year (1914) the Japanese built the Balong Suspension Bridge. When the Northern Cross-island Highway was built in the 1960s, the suspension bridge was demolished and rebuilt into the Baling Bridge. Since the Cross-island Highway leads to Jiaobanshan, Lalashan, Qilan, Mingchi and other important tourist and recreational areas, the traffic volume surges every holiday. The original Baling Bridge width is only 4.6 meters, the width of the road is insufficient, and it is easy to cause traffic jams. The new Baling Bridge was built to solve the problem of traffic congestion and was opened to traffic on July 30, 2005. The old Baling Bridge was changed to a pedestrian-only scenic bridge. The tunnel No.1 and No.2 on both ends of the bridge were also transformed into an Atayal Cultural Exhibit Hall.
Located on the southern edge of Qianliang Mountain, at an altitude of about 750 meters, the platform behind the shelter is the foundation of the Xianbi Police Post from the Japanese occupation period. The police post was established in the 13th year of Taisho (1924), and until today, there are fragments of utensils, guns and ammunition depots from the Japanese occupation period on the ground.
Shengguang Police Station is located 49.5 kilometers away from Central Cross-island Highway Yilan branch line. During the Japanese occupation, in order to facilitate transportation and manage the indigines, the Pyanan Historis Trail was built in the 7th year of Taisho (1918). The route starts from today’s Datong Township, Yilan County and extended to Wushe in Nantou County, with a total length of 120 kilometers. The trail was completed in the 10th year of Taisho (1921).
The biggest feature of this road is that it almost presents a "north-south" road system. Most of the Lifan roads are east-west, which makes this trail one of the six north-south roads. The Pyanan Historic Trail passes through the Atayal territory, forming a longitude and latitude with the east-west Lifan road, interweaving into a traffic network, and playing a very important role in the history of mountain transportation during the Japanese occupation. After the war, this historic trail was replaced by the Yilan branch of the Central Cross-island Highway and the Lixing Industrial Road.