The Hongxiang Hamlet is located in the foothills of Baigu Dashan in Ren’ai Township, Nantou County. It is 1,170 meters above sea level. The traditional Atayal name of the hamlet is Makanaji. The land is flat and fertile, and most of them have been converted into paddy fields.
In the early days of the Japanese occupation, the tribesmen first moved to the upper reaches of the Makanaji Stream and took refuge when the Government-General in Taiwan sent military police into the hamlet. However, they were forced to relocate to a spot 1.3 km north of the former site of Maisiduobang for better monitoring and management by the Japanese. Later in 1923, they moved to the current location due to the barren land.