Chengguang'ao Tianhou Temple

Chengguang’ao Tianhou Temple is located in the Xiaogang area where the Han people first landed on the east coast in Chenggong Township, Taitung County. It was built in 1874 and is the oldest Tianhou Temple in the east. According to documentary records, Chengguang’ao Tianhou Temple was originally a hand-carved wooden structure. The Mazu statue that is enshrined in the temple was brought in from Lugang Tianhou Temple by Liu Jinlai, who was assigned to Houshan as general manager. Legend has it that the Mazu statue was once rejected by the indigenous people and the Japanese, and once lived in a stone cave by the Keelung Sea. It was only in the post-war period that it was invited back to Xiaogang for worship.