Chengguangao Cultural Landscape

Chengguang’ao Cultural Landscape Park is located in Chenggong Township, Taitung County. It was originally the site of the Guanghengfa Company. Through the existing brick arch arcade-style pavilions and columns, one could see that the gateposts, carvings and styles were rare in the eastern part of Taiwan for that time.

Guanghengfa Company was founded in around 1916. It was built from scratch by Wen Taikun, a Hakka who emigrated to Neipu, Pingtung, and was the largest grocery store in the east coast area at that time. The goods were mainly imported through the Chengguang’ao port and was said to be a large-scale business in the early period. In the mid-Japanese occupation period, Wen Taikun was already the richest man in Xingangzhuang. During World War II, it was told that the Guanghengfa Company was once regarded as a bombing target by the US military because of its prominent position.

Chengguang'ao Tianhou Temple

Chengguang’ao Tianhou Temple is located in the Xiaogang area where the Han people first landed on the east coast in Chenggong Township, Taitung County. It was built in 1874 and is the oldest Tianhou Temple in the east. According to documentary records, Chengguang’ao Tianhou Temple was originally a hand-carved wooden structure. The Mazu statue that is enshrined in the temple was brought in from Lugang Tianhou Temple by Liu Jinlai, who was assigned to Houshan as general manager. Legend has it that the Mazu statue was once rejected by the indigenous people and the Japanese, and once lived in a stone cave by the Keelung Sea. It was only in the post-war period that it was invited back to Xiaogang for worship.