Shilu Hamlet

Shilu Hamlet is located on the south-facing long ridge of a small hill in the east of Mindu Mountain. In the early days, this area was rich in magnolia compressa, thus, the Atayal people called this place Skaru. Skaru refers to the magnolia compressa tree, which is widely distributed in the broad-leaved forests of middle and low altitudes in Taiwan. In the 2nd year of Taisho (1913), the Aiyong Supervision Office was set up in this area. It was named Syakaro, after the transliteration of Skaru, which got transliterated later as "Shilu". This image shows the current situation of the Shilu hamlet, and above the hamlet is the Syakaro police post from the Japanese occupation period, which was renamed the Shilu Police Station after the war.

Ningpu Village

Ningpu Village sits on the south bank of the Ningpu River entrance in Changbin Township, Taitung County. It was built by the Kaliwan people of Kavalan tribe who migrated to Hualien. The prehistoric boulder erected on the mountain has two protrusions, resembling a female breast, hence the name Shiru (stone breast) was given. Later it was translated as Shiningpu. Coming to the Japanese occupation period, the Government-General in Taiwan renamed it to Ningpu. In the early days of Japanese occupation, there were 7 Kaliwan households and 33 people in Ningpu Village. Later, Fulao and Hakka immigrants moved here and as bananas were planted on the hills nearby, the banana drying factory was set up at the south intersection of Ningpu Village. In the post-war period, the residents switched to planting lemongrass, which flourished for a while.