Yongsen

Shimen Historic Battlefield
原為西鄉都督遺跡碑,戰後題字改為澄清海宇還我河山

The Shimen Historic Battlefield is located at the junction of Checheng Township and Mudan Township in Pingtung County, in the hilly and mountainous areas of the Sichong River and its tributaries. Since the Mudan incident, the Japanese have been calling the place Shimen. In the post-war period, the village and township was named after it. 

As a fact, the former Monument of Commander Saigo Judo and the Monument of the Loyal Soul (in memory of the Japanese soldiers who were killed in the battle between indigenous peoples) were built to commemorate the Mudan Incident. In the post-war period, the monuments were deemed a humiliation to the country, and thus the words on the monument were replaced to commend the anti-Japanese spirit of the indigenous peoples.

 

Anshuo Hamlet
位在南迴公路旁的安朔村

Anshuo Hamlet is located next to Nanhui Road in Daren Township, Taitung County. In the post-war period, the Nationalist Government asphalt-paved what was originally a gravel road of the Fenggang Beinan Historic Trail, covering a total length of 107 km from Taitung to Shouqia.

Xinlu Hamlet
新路部落街景

Xinlu Hamlet in Shizi Township, Pingtung County, is located by Nanhui Road on the south bank of Fenggang River, about 3.5 km away from Fenggang. It was originally the traditional territory of Jiaxinlushe, but during the Japanese occupation period, the Governor-General in Taiwan vigorously implemented the group relocation project and forcefully relocated indigenes of Bashimoshe (Lomaq) to the area of Konkya. They were then moved to the current location of the Xinlu hamlet in 1943. At the beginning of the post-war period, the National Government also moved the residents of Karoran hamlet and Chachagun hamlet here, thus forming the current Xinlu hamlet.

Fenggang River
在古道開通前,山區居民交易皆溯行溪床至楓港

Fenggang Beinan Historic Trail was excavated under the policy of excavating mountains to manage indigene during the Qing period. Before then, it was a tribal passage for the local Paiwan tribe. The excavation mainly went along the river from Fenggang towards the northeast, not overlapping with Nanhui Road. The trail goes along the tribal passage, into Mount Qiluzhike, along the ridgeline to Shouqia, and finally reaching Dawu from Rumulu River. Therefore, before the opening of the Fenggang Beinan Hsitoric Trail, residents living in the mountainous areas would go upstream the Fenggang River to trade hunted animal products at the riverbed.

 

Danlu Hamlet
丹路部落街景

Danlu Hamlet is located on the steep slope on the left bank of Fenggang River, on the north-western mountainside of Nurenshan in Shizi Township, Pingtung County. The hamlet was formed by the migration of indigenous peoples  in 1924, who originally lived in Mudanlushe and Jiaxinlushe. During the Japanese occupation period, the Governor-General in Taiwan set up  the Mudanlu Police Post next to the present Danlu Elementary School in Upper Danlu Hamlet. In 1943 the tribesmen of the Bashimoshe moved to Lower Danlu Hamlet and became a part of the Mudanlushe. In the post-war period, the National Government referred to Mudan Road as Dan Road in short, and the police post was also moved to the Nanhui Highway, between the upper and lower hamlets.

 

Shuangliu Hamlet
雙流部落和南迴公路

Shuangliu Hamlet is located on the south bank of the confluence of Neiwen River and Daren River in the upper reaches of Fenggang River in Shizi Township, Pingtung County. It was an important fort on the Fenggang Beinan Historic Trail during the Qing period. The hamlet was formed by the migration of Paiwan people from Jinagalan hamlet in the post-war period.

Beside the Shuangliu Hamlet is the Shuangliu National Forest Recreation Area, which was taken over by the Forestry Bureau in 1965. The main feature of the recreation area is the artificial Taiwan Chinese Ash forest and the rich insect ecology. Follow the upstream of Neiwen River in the park, you can play in the water, watch butterflies, as well as visit the relics of Paiwan slate houses and Shuangliu Waterfall.

Tomb of 54 Japanese Ryukyuan Sailors
位在屏東縣車城鄉的大日本琉球藩民五十四名墓碑

The Tomb of 54 Ryukyuan is located in the alleys off Tongpu Road in Checheng Township, Pingtung County. It mainly serves as a place to remember the death of 54 Ryukyuan fishermen, who were killed by indigenous Paiwan tribe of Gaoshifoshe when they drifted to Bayao Bay due to a storm in 1871.

When the incident happened, the then Japanese Commander Saigo Judo sent troops to attack Taiwan on the grounds of killing the Ryukyuans. The tombstone was originally located at Shuangxikou in Shimen. Later, with the help from local residents Lin Ah-Jiu, Yang You-Wang and Zhang Mei-Po, Commander  Saigo Judo moved the tomb to the current location and erected a tombstone. Later, Lin Ah-Jiu was commissioned to convene the villagers to worship the tomb twice a year in spring and autumn.

Today, the three Japanese characters that read “Empire of Japan'' on the front of the tombstone have been smeared, and the inscription on the back is weathered and blurred, making it difficult to identify.

 

Yitun Hamlet
伊屯部落街景

The Yitun Hamlet is located by the Nanhui Road on the south bank of Fenggang River and its tributary Caopuhou River in Shizi Township, Pingtung County.  It is about 3 km east of the Danlu Hamlet.

Yitun Hamlet was formed by the migrations of residents who originally lived in the upper reaches of Fangshan River, and eventually settled here. In the middle of the Japanese occupation, there were already tribesmen of Mudanlushe migrated and slowly formed a hamlet. Later, the tribesmen of Tjurusalis'she, Litjukutjuku'she, and Badjuku'she moved there. The origin of the hamlet name, Itonzan, is unknown, and was transliterated into Yitun after the war.

 

Fengling Hamlet
遠眺楓林部落

Fenglin Hamlet is located on a gentle sloping ground along the south bank of the Fenggang Creek tributary in Shizi Township, Pingtung County. It is about 2.5 kilometers away from Fenggang, and was established 1941 when former residents of Neimaribashe and Achameixueshe moved here. The houses and laneways are neatly arranged, belonging to the Paiwan tribe of the Neiwen group. Before the end of the Japanese occupation, there was no distribution of tribes in this area. After the group relocation project was completed, the Governor-General in Taiwan set up a police post here and named the hamlet Fengshe. In the early post-war period, the National Government moved the township office from Shizi Village to this place and renamed it Fenglin. The origin of the place name should have been the same as that of Fenggang, because of the strong downhill wind in winter.

Fenggang
從台26線省道遠眺楓港聚落

Fenggang is located on the south bank of the Fenggang River near the shore in Fangshan Township, Pingtung County. As it is located in the month of Fenggang River, it was named after the strong downhill wind in winter. In the past, Fenggang was the junction where indigenous peoples and Han Chinese traded.  It was the traditional territory of the Paiwan from Shebulishe. It was also the starting point of Fenggang Beinan Historic Trail when it was excavated during the Qing period. During the Japanese occupation period, the Governor-General in Taiwan set up a police post to monitor the operation between people from the mountains and people from the plains, and to manage the security of the Fenggang area. Today, the Fenggang Police Post is transferred into a Biker Rest Stop for cyclists and tourists.