Jianana Hamlet

The Jianana hamlet is located in a mountain pass in the northeast of the Wuhe Platform. As the terrain is shaped like a basket, it is called Kalala in the Amis language, which means basket. The name of this hamlet was first seen in the "Map of Taiwan" in the 4th year of Guangxu (1878). At that time, the hamlet was located on the top of Lumoc Mountain in the northeast of the current site. Later, due to the drought on the top of the mountain, it moved to the current site. The records from the end of the Qing Dynasty period kept the name of the hamlet however, no one lived there then. Then in the report of the Taitung Reclamation Office in the 30th year of the Meiji Period (1897), there were still records of 7 households with 33 people in Jianana hamlet. It can be seen that the Amis people of the Jianana tribe have moved in and out several times in the past hundred years, because the Wuhe Terrace has been an area where the Bunun people have frequent activities since the 18th century, making the Amis people unable to settle here for long. In the 11th year of the Showa era (1936), a Japanese company planted tea on the hills on the southeastern side of the hamlet and introduced 10 Hakka tea farmers from Beipu, Hsinchu. Currently there are about 50 households remaining in Jianana hamlet.

Lumozai Hamlet

Lumozai is one of the four Amis hamlets on the Wuhe Terrace in Ruisui Township (the other three hamlets are Saobading, Maliyun and Jianana). The Japanese once planted coffee and trial planted tea trees on the Wuhe Terrace. After the war the Nationalist government began promoting tea cultivation in the Wuhe area, thus gradually forming the tea village look of today's Wuhe Terrace. Lumozai hamlet is located in the hill on the northeast side of the Wuhe Platform, on the top of the northeast hill of the Jianana (Kalala) hamlet. This place is surrounded by three sides of mountains, with only a gap in the west, which forms a tuyere, and is called Lumoc in the Amis language. Lumoc was once an ancient Amis tribe. It was originally composed of four Amis clans, Fasay (also known as Vasai), Talakop, Inato, and Siracay. They originally lived in the south but migrated here due to Bunun’s invasion. The present residents are mostly from Kiwit. There used to be more than 20 households at the most, and now there are only a few households left.

Hongye Hot Spring

Hongye Hot Spring is located in Hongye Village, Wanrong Township. It is opposite to Ruisui Hot Spring across Hongye Stream, so it is also called Inner Hot Spring. It is about 5 kilometers away from Ruisui Station. The spring water comes from the foothills of Jiaxing Mountain. It is an alkaline hydrogen carbonate spring. The water quality is clear and transparent, colorless and odorless. The spring temperature is about 47 degrees Celsius, and the hydrogen ion concentration is 6.6. During the Japanese occupation period, a hostel was built here, and it continues to operate under the name of "Hongye Hot Spring Hostel". The old Japanese-style wooden buildings are still intact. The handwritten signboard at the entrance is very vintage. The wooden sliding doors, wooden window frames, wooden floors and tatami floors are full of Japanese style. Due to inconvenient transportation, there are few tourists, but it is far away from the hustle and bustle and the environment is very quiet.

Xibao Hamlet

There is a Hongye bridge on the right side of the tribe leading to the Hongye hamlet, and under the bridge is the Hongye Stream. The Xibao hamlet belongs to Hongye Village, Wanrong Township. It is located on the south bank of Hongye Stream and at the west end of Hongye Bridge. The Hongye area was inhabited by the Amis and Bunun people successively in the early days. After the 8th year of the Showa Period (1933), the Truku people moved in one after another. Most of the early tribes lived on the left bank of Hongye Stream west of Ruisui Hot Spring and the southern foothills of Hutou Mountain. A small part lived near the present Hongye Hot Spring, at the northern foot of Dijia Mountain. Because it is on the opposite bank of Hongye tribe, it is called "Xibao", which is the Truku word Sipaw, meaning the opposite side.

Hongye Village

The left half of the settlement in the image belongs to Hongye Village, Wanrong Township, which is the Hongye Tribe of the Truku group, and the right half is Ruixiang Village, Ruisui Township, which is the Amis Hot Spring Tribe. Hongye Village is located on the left bank of Hongye Stream, and is adjacent to Ruisui Hot Spring in the east. In the early days of Hongye, the Amis and Bunun people lived successively. The Amis people called the area Koyo because of its many mountain cats there, namely the masked palm civet, and in the Amis language it is called Koyo. After the Japanese occupation, Koyo was translated to the japanese word koyo, which means autum leaves, and  “Hongye” in chinese character. After the 8th year of the Showa era (1933), the Truku people moved in one after another. Because of the narrow terrain and lush vegetation, the Truku language called it Utux Qrunang, which was later transliterated as "Wudof Kelonan". This was later shortened to "Aifunan", which is the name of the place that the people use today.


Tobacco Barn

The form of tobacco barn can be divided into two styles: Osaka style and Hiroshima style. The smoke outlet of the Osaka-style tobacco building protrudes from the roof. It is tall, large, and the smoke exhaust effect is good. The curing time is short, but the quality of the cured tobacco leaves is poor, and because of the large wind surface, it is easy to be caught in a typhoon. blow bad. The Hiroshima-style tobacco building is just the opposite. The smoke exhaust port is located on the slope of the roof, and the smoke output is small, so the curing time is longer, so the quality of the tobacco is better. Although it is less afraid of typhoons, it is prone to fire. During the Japanese colonial period in Ruixiang Village, Japanese tobacco farmers came here to plant tobacco. At the beginning, most of them recruited local Amis people as tobacco workers. After the war, this area was designated as a professional tobacco production area. It has become the most important industry for residents, and there were dozens of tobacco buildings. Today, there are only 14 Japanese Osaka-style tobacco buildings preserved in the village, which is the area with the most preserved tobacco buildings in Ruisui Township.

Sea Ritual Plaza

The sea ritual plaza of the Gangkou tribe is the place where the Amis people hold fishing sacrifices. The Amis people believe that their ancestors came across the sea, so they hold sea sacrifices to thank the god of the sea for protecting their ancestors to land. Different regions has different name for the fishing festival. It is called Milalikis by the northern Nanshi Amis, and Misacepo' by the Coastal Amis. Different regions also hold the festival at different times although it is held before the harvest festival, roughly from June to August. The fishing festival is a concrete manifestation of the Amis people's gratitude to the gods of the sea and the gods of heaven and earth. They believe that the natural world is dominated by many gods. They respect nature and hope to catch abundant fish and shrimp every year. The biggest taboo in the sea festival activities of the Gangkou hamlet is that women are not allowed to participate in the ritual. They believe that if women participate, there will be no catch for the year.

Changhong Bridge

The New Changhong Bridge is a red arch bridge spanning both sides of the Xiuguluan River estuary. It is an important bridge connecting the Jingpu hamlet and the Dagang hamlet. There is a boat dock below the bridge, and at the south end of the bridge is the Xibulan Visitor Center. Next to the new Changhong Bridge is the old Changhong Bridge. The old bridge was completed in May 1968. It is 120 meters long and was the first cantilever single-arch concrete bridge in Taiwan. Due to the long term traffic use of the bridge, it became a bridge for pedestrians when the new bridges was completed and opened to traffic in January 2013. The magnificent new bridge can be seen from the old bridge. The new Changhong Bridge is 185 meters long, has eight semi-circular viewing platforms on the bridge, where you can overlook the boats passing underneath, as well as the beautiful scenery of Xiuguluan River estuary and Ci’poran Island.

Ci'poran Island

Ci’poran Island is located at the estuary of Xiuguluan River. In Amis language it is called cipo or ci’poran, which means island in the river. In the 8th year of Jiaqing (1803), Japanese fisherman and others drifted here and named the place ciporan. It was later changed to "Luoge Island", which means hunched or hunchback. In the 4th year of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1878), the "Map of Mountains Before and After Taiwan" named the lace Lion Ball Mountain, and later Lion Ball Island. The Japanese called it Bantian Island. According to the Gangkou Amis legend, this place is where their ancestors first settled in Taiwan, and therefore, it is an important ritual site for them to hold sea rituals. There is a prehistoric culture on the island, where there are still some stone tools and Amis-style pottery fragments left on the surface. The highest altitude on the island is about 40 meters, and the island covers an area of ​​about 10 hectares. On the north and south sides of the island, under the combined action of rivers, waves and tides, many gravels are deposited at the estuary to form natural embankments whose shapes change with the seasons. Ci’poran Island is now listed as a nature reserve and cannot enter without an application.

Sanfu Bridge Hamlet

Sanfu Bridge Hamlet is located in Jingpu Village, Fengbin Township, Hualien County. It is an Amis hamlet close to the Pacific Ocean. In the native language it is called Sahfongan, which refers to low-lying sandy land. It is located about 1.5 kilometers south of the Jingpu hamlet. This place was originally the arable land of the Jingpu (Cawi) hamlet, where people began to migrate from the Jingpu  to here in 1954. After the 1980s, many people separated from Jingpu, and gradually formed a new settlement, named Sahfongan. There are currently about 30 households. Between July to September 1959, there were 4 strong typhoons. In the same year, Jingpu School was established in Sanfuqiao hamlet, and later moved to its current location in Jing'an.