Wenshan Hot Spring is located between Tianxiang and Xibao on the Central Cross-Island Highway. It is the only natural Hot Spring in Taroko National Park where water flows out from the crack of a marble rock on Dasha riverbed. It was discovered by Captain Fukami Buheiji during the Taroko War in 1914, and named it Fukami Hot Spring (Chinese character Shen-Shui, meaning deepwater). In the post-war period, the National Government changed its name to Wenshan Hot Spring. The trail on the right side of the south entrance of the Taishan Tunnel used to lead down to the hot spring. However, after a rock fell and injured some tourists in 2005, the trail has been closed since.