The old Dalai Hamlet in Sandimen Township, Pingtung County, is located on the left bank of Ailiao North River. In the beginning of 1937, the Government-General in Taiwan began the relocation project. The hamlet was relocated collectively at the end of the Japanese occupation. Village residents participated in this labor work and manually leveled land building the police post and education center. The slate materials were transported from Talatalai Hamlet to the old Dalai Hamlet. It took about 5 hours on foot between the two hamlets and finally after the joint effort of the people, the relocation was complete in 1941. The village is organized into a chessboard pattern, with the police station and education center located on higher ground for easy surveillance.
The Chizhi Slope of the old Dalai Hamlet in Sandimen Township, Pingtung County is located on the left bank of Ailiao North River. Due to the stream, the only way to enter the hamlet was through the Dalai suspension bridge. The name Chizhi Slope (Chizhipuo) literally means resign slope. There is a saying that many civil servants who were assigned to work here ended up resigning because of the steep terrain, and that this was the only passage to the old Dalai Hamlet.
Today, with the administrative support of the Pingtung Forestry Bureau, the hamlet began the restoration of Chizhi slope in 2015. With the help from volunteers of Taiwan’s Thousand Miles Trail Association, and using traditional wisdom of Paiwan people, the restoration was finally complete.