Monument of the Death of Inspector Miyano, Oshima and Government Official Kasau of Karenkou Prefecture

The Monument of the Death of Inspector Miyano, Oshima and Government Official Kasau of Karenkou Prefecture is located beside the Batongguan Traversing Historic Trail, about 1,900 meters above sea level, south of Pengke Police Post, and about 1.8 km away from Eshira Police Post. Originally, there were three wooden pillars erected to commemorate two officers and one government official who were ambushed and killed during their duty on March 16, 1921. It was later converted into one reinforced concrete obelisk-shaped monument in the mid-Japanese occupation period in the 1930s.



Siji (Skikun) Hamlet

Siji Hamlet is located on the 18 km point of Provincial Highway 7A, on the upper reaches of Lanyang Stream in Datong Township of Yilan County, about 1,000 meters above sea level.

The traditional Atayal name for the place is Tayax, and is divided into upper and lower hamlets. After the death of Temuran Kaylo, the ancestor who founded the Manoyuan community in the Qing period, his three sons left the Pyanan community due to their estrangement with the family. They moved to Tayax that had fertile land suitable for farming. Later, the Jialan community, 12 km away from Tayax, was attacked by the Qing army. Hence, to avoid further attacks, the Jialan people decided to move to Tayax, making Tayax a community with a diverse population.

During the Japanese occupation, the Government-General in Taiwan set up a police post here. Seeing that it was like spring all year round with beautiful scenery, the place was named Skikun, which means four seasons in Japanese.


The Monument of Seeking the Root of Tielusang Hamlet

The Monument of Seeking the Root of Tielusang Hamlet is located on a slope opposite the confluence of Danda River in the west and east in Xinyi Township, Nantou County, at an altitude of about 2,080 meters.

Tielusang Hamlet can be reached by going down from the afforestation road near the sixth checkpoint on Danda Forest Road. However, roads are damaged from typhoons and earthquakes, and the site is in poor condition. Continuing down from Tielusang Hamlet, about 1,280m above sea level, there is a fork road, which is the Guanmen Historic Trail. Located in the Tielusang Hamlet. The monument was erected in 2003 and was inscribed by Tian Bingyuan, the then mayor of Xinyi Township.

Monument to the Centenary of Teaching in Eastern Taiwan

The Memorial Monument to the Centenary of Church Establishment in Eastern Taiwan is located in the Shiyusan Recreation Area in Chenggong Township, Taitung County. The monument mainly tells the story of the introduction of the Presbyterian Church to eastern Taiwan. At the end of the Qing period, Zhang Yuanchun, a follower from Aligang in Pingtung County, moved to Shiyusan and used holy water to heal Shiyusan chief’s asthma. He then established the Xun-Guang-Ao Church that was later known as the Shiyusan (Stone Umbrella) Church, and opened up the missionary history in eastern Taiwan.

At the end of the Japanese occupation, the Government-General in Taiwan vigorously promoted the imperialism movement, and so church services became secret gatherings. Later, the Xingang Church was established and took on the followers of the Shiyusan Church, and a monument was established in 1997 to commemorate it.

Cholera Incident Memorial Monument

The Cholera Incident Memorial Monument is located in the cemetery area of ​​the Chong’an Hamlet in Chenggong Township, Taitung County. This cholera incident occurred in 1946, when a man from the Yiwan Hamlet fell ill after eating seaweed that he had collected. He was sent back to Chong’an Hamlet, however, the disease spread quickly. It was found after inspection that it was an infectious disease of cholera. At that time there was a shortage of medicine because the war had just ended. The patients were quarantined in the hamlet but could only receive basic treatment. The dead were sent to the beach for incineration. No tombstones were set up and no names were registered. Decades later, the families of the victims were determined to find out the truth. The town office took the initiative to assist in the investigation and finally established a memorial in 2006 to detail the incident.

The Cepo’ Incident Monument

The Cepo’ Incident Monument is located inside Jingpu Elementary School in Fengbin Township, Hualien County. It was established in 2014, which is the 127th anniversary of the Cepo’ Incident.

The Cepo’ incident happened at the end of the Qing Dynasty, when Wu Guangliang, the commander-in-chief of all roads in Houshan, was resisted by the Amis people of Jingpu and Gangkou area for excavating roads for Shuiwei to Dagangkou port (Cepo’). Therefore, in 1877, General Lin was sent to lead a troop to suppress the Amis people. Almost a hundred Amis people were killed at the incident, and the surviving tribesmen fled, dispersed to the east coast and the Huadong Rift Valley. The area around Jingpu became the base camp for the Qing troops.


Nanban Shigesuke Monument

The Nanban Shigesuke Monument is located at the back of Old Haocha Elementary School, on a path that leads to the village’s water source. The monument is made of two large stones stacked together and is 2 meters tall. The words, “Nanban Shigesuke Monument”, are engraved on one side, while the date of death, June 20 Showa 9, is engraved on the other. This monument mainly commemorates Nanban Shigesuke, who served as the head of the Kochayabokan Police Post during the Japanese occupation and ended his life on June 20, 1934.

However, in the post-war period, the National Government filled the monument with cement, painted in white and wrote in blue “Do not forget national humiliation in time of peace and security”. As time went by, the cement that had been smeared gradually eroded and the inscriptions from the Japanese occupation gradually re-emerges.


Batongguan Excavation Monument

The Batongguan Excavation Monument at the Nan'an Visitor Center of the Yushan National Park was originally set up in front of the Yuli Shrine when the completion ceremony of the eastern section of the Batongguan Traversing Historic Trail was held on January 22, 1921. However, in the post-war period, the monument was moved and left at the Zhengoushi Bridge due to the widening of the road. Finally it was found by Yang Nanjun, an expert on Taiwan ancient roads, in 1988 and was sent to the Nan'an Police Squad for safekeeping.

Today, the Batongguan Excavation Monument still contains specific details of the excavation project, such as date, mileage, funding, team members, employees, deaths and injuries.


Monument of Kashibana Incident

The Monument of the Kashibana Incident is located on the mountainside of the Batongguan Traversing Historic Trail, about 15 minutes south of the Huangma Police Post. This reinforced concrete obelisk shaped monument was built in 1931 to mainly remember the 10 patrols and police officers from the Kashibana Police Post, who lost their lives during the Kashibana incident on May 12, 1915.

Monument of the Death of Inspector Nojiri and Boundary Guards of Karenkou Prefecture

The The Monument of the Death of Inspector Nojiri and Boundary Guards Ruskau, Babai, Pan A-shen, Pan A-wu, and Pan Na-zi of Karenkou Prefecture is located on the mountainside of Batongguan Traversing Historic Trail, on an altitude of 1,315 meters, 15 minutes away from Midori Police Post. This monument is an obelisk built of reinforced concrete. It mainly commemorates Inspector Nojiri and five Boundary Guards who were killed in an ambush on October 10, 1919 during the excavation and construction of the Batongguan Trail.