Ci'poran Island

Attractions along Kiwit Historic Trail

Ci’poran Island is located at the estuary of Xiuguluan River. In Amis language it is called cipo or ci’poran, which means island in the river. In the 8th year of Jiaqing (1803), Japanese fisherman and others drifted here and named the place ciporan. It was later changed to "Luoge Island", which means hunched or hunchback. In the 4th year of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1878), the "Map of Mountains Before and After Taiwan" named the lace Lion Ball Mountain, and later Lion Ball Island. The Japanese called it Bantian Island. According to the Gangkou Amis legend, this place is where their ancestors first settled in Taiwan, and therefore, it is an important ritual site for them to hold sea rituals. There is a prehistoric culture on the island, where there are still some stone tools and Amis-style pottery fragments left on the surface. The highest altitude on the island is about 40 meters, and the island covers an area of ​​about 10 hectares. On the north and south sides of the island, under the combined action of rivers, waves and tides, many gravels are deposited at the estuary to form natural embankments whose shapes change with the seasons. Ci’poran Island is now listed as a nature reserve and cannot enter without an application.

  • - / -
  • - - -
  • -
  • - -/-
  • -
View of Ci’poran Island from Jing'an.
View of Ci’poran Island from Jing'an.
View of Ci’poran Island from Jing'an.